Position Classification: Full-time, exempt employee
Position Location: Oakland, CA
The Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL) is an environmental NGO that is on a mission to save the world’s coral reefs. Founded in 1994, CORAL has a history of working collaboratively with communities to reduce direct threats to reefs. In parallel, CORAL is actively expanding the scientific understanding of how corals adapt to climate change and is applying this information to give reefs around the world the best chance to thrive for generations to come.
CORAL seeks a highly-organized, reliable and resourceful individual with experience in human resources and operations who is motivated to use their skills and talents to advance our mission to save the world’s coral reefs. Over the last several years, CORAL has grown operationally and has increased our staffing numbers, our operating budget, and our organizational complexity. This position will perform a broad range of HR, administrative, and operation functions, and work with staff located in multiple locations in support of our global operations, culture and growth as we scale our organization.
The Human Resources and Operations Coordinator reports directly to the Finance and Operations Director.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- In partnership with the Finance and Operations Director, manage, refine, and develop CORAL’s human resources policies, initiatives and support systems
- Facilitate new hire process, administer benefits, and coordinate the administration of HR processes
- Supervise the maintenance of office equipment and assist staff with general IT needs with the help of external IT support, if necessary
- Work closely with hiring managers to provide guidance and assistance on HR matters including hiring, onboarding, training, and performance evaluation
- Implement and oversee CORAL’s Annual Review process
- Maintain all employee records, enrollment, documentation, and the day to day activities related to benefits, 401k, leaves, and employee lifecycle transitions
- Update and maintain the employee handbook and policy and procedure documents
- Support the planning and coordination of organization-wide meetings and events, such as staff meetings, new hire welcome lunches, staff celebrations, organization-wide retreats, etc.
- Keep apprised and updated on new regulations, company policies and procedures, and coordinate company and employee compliance with HR, health, and safety regulations
- Assist with integrating core values into the organization
- Support internal administrative staff procedures, maintain organization charts, email distributions lists and the employee directory
- Assist with payroll and ad-hoc HR projects
- Maintain a smoothly functional office environment, including inventory and ordering of office supplies and receiving and sorting incoming mail
- Seek and implement new ways to improve existing organizational structures and processes
- Other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field and/or equivalent experience.
- At least two years of work experience including in human resources and operations
- Working knowledge of Human Resources best practices, policies, procedures and federal and state laws
- Strong project management skills: planning and organizational skills to guide, develop, and document systems and processes
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills and ability to complete tasks independently and efficiently within a team
- Dedicated team player with a customer-service approach, friendliness, and ability to build relationships
- Ability to hold self and other accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Proven ability to handle confidential data and information
- Spanish language skills (conversational and written) strongly preferred
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment
- Experience with HR databases (e.g., Paylocity)
- Strong alignment with CORAL’s mission
This is a full-time, exempt position, based in the Bay Area. Full-time employees receive benefits that include medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), Dependent Spending Account (DSA) and disability insurance, 401K match, paid vacation, and 10 paid holidays.
How to Apply
To apply for this position submit a cover letter and resume in one document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Human Resources and Operations Coordinator” in the subject line. Please note that we only have the capacity to respond to applicants with whom we would like to interview. No phone calls please.
The Coral Reef Alliance is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, health status or national origin.